A Unique Place from All Vantage Points
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve is an 8,600-acre tract of public land located between the villages of La Farge and Ontario in southwestern Wisconsin. Its history, resources, administration, and recreational diversity make it unique - a place like no other.
We invite you to come and see for yourself the many wonders of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Here, sandstone outcroppings tower over the Kickapoo River as you paddle its quiet waters while native plants and animals abound in all seasons. Whether you'd like to join us for a scheduled interpretive hike, adventure into the back-country on your own, or simply stop and admire the beauty, the Kickapoo Valley Reserve welcomes you!
Donate to the Exhibits Upgrade at the KVR
By purchasing a permit you are agreeing to the
KVR Rules and Regulations
Wisconsin State Park permits do not apply on the KVR.
Our maps have been updated January 2020.
KVR Covid-19 Reminders
INFORMATION AT A GLANCE
Day Use or Annual Pass Required. Purchase online in advance.
Become a Friends of KVR Member, which includes your 2021 Annual Pass.
- VISITOR CENTER: Open Monday thru Saturday 8am-4:30pm; masks required for unvaccinated visitors & strongly encouraged for all.
- LOCAL WEATHER: Click here to view Visitor Center Weather Station
- HUNTING & FISHING: The KVR property is OPEN for public hunting & fishing in accordance with State seasons & licensing requirements. Hunters take note: Change in hunting perimeter. Click here.
- HIKING TRAILS: OPEN. Be sure to keep all vehicles on solid surfaces. Users are encouraged to wear bright colors.
- OLD 131 TRAIL & STAR VALLEY TRAIL: OPEN to horse, bike, & hike.
- HORSE/BIKE TRAILS: OPEN. Day use parking guide for equestrians.
- CAMPING: OPEN. Sites are first come, first served. There is no water guaranteed at Campsite D (Willow Camp); please plan ahead. Potable water is available at the Visitor Center. Campsites D1, D2, D3, D4 are open to self contained camping units only - no tent camping allowed.
- KICKAPOO RIVER: River is reported passable from Landing 1 (Ontario) to Landing 20 (La Farge). Check current river levels prior to paddling- Ontario and LaFarge gauging station.
*Please subscribe to NIXLE notification system for local weather warnings and other emergency alerts. Free to subscribe, opt out at any time.
Pack out ALL Trash!
Updated 9/22/2021 12:00PM