A Unique Place from All Vantage Points
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve is an 8,600-acre tract of public land located between the villages of La Farge and Ontario in southwestern Wisconsin. Its history, resources, administration, and recreational diversity make it unique - a place like no other.
We invite you to come and see for yourself the many wonders of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Here, sandstone outcroppings tower over the Kickapoo River as you paddle its quiet waters while native plants and animals abound in all seasons. Whether you'd like to join us for a scheduled interpretive hike, adventure into the back-country on your own, or simply stop and admire the beauty, the Kickapoo Valley Reserve welcomes you!
Donate to the Exhibits Upgrade at the KVR
By purchasing a permit you are agreeing to the
KVR Rules and Regulations
Wisconsin State Park permits do not apply on the KVR.
Our maps have been updated January 2020.
KVR Covid-19 Reminders
Day Use or Annual Pass Required. Purchase online in advance.
KVR is hiring for two Laborer Helpers and one Office Associate. Click here for position descriptions and applications.
- VISITOR CENTER: Open Monday thru Friday 8am-4:30pm; masks and distancing required.
- HUNTING & FISHING: The property is OPEN for public hunting and early Trout catch/release fishing in accordance with State seasons and licensing requirements.
- HIKING - OPEN. Use caution, trails are soft and muddy.
- HORSE/BIKE - CLOSED. Natural surface trails open May 1st - weather permitting.
- CAMPING - OPEN - use designated sites only on map dated 2020. Sites are first come, first served.
- RIVER - Please be sure to check current river levels prior to paddling- Ontario and La Farge gauging station. Winter conditions may inactivate gauges.
*Please subscribe to NIXLE notification system for local weather warnings and other emergency alerts. Free to subscribe, opt out at any time.
Pack out ALL Trash!