A Unique Place from All Vantage Points
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve is an 8,600-acre tract of public land located between the villages of La Farge and Ontario in southwestern Wisconsin. Its history, resources, administration, and recreational diversity make it unique - a place like no other.
We invite you to come and see for yourself the many wonders of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Here, sandstone outcroppings tower over the Kickapoo River as you paddle its quiet waters while native plants and animals abound in all seasons. Whether you'd like to join us for a scheduled interpretive hike, adventure into the back-country on your own, or simply stop and admire the beauty, the Kickapoo Valley Reserve welcomes you!
Donate to the Exhibits Upgrade at the KVR
By purchasing a permit you are agreeing to the
KVR Rules and Regulations
Wisconsin State Park permits do not apply on the KVR.
Our maps have been updated January 2020.
KVR Covid-19 Reminders
The Visitor Center Building is CLOSED to
the public due to the pandemic.
Call 608-625-2960 Mon-Fri. 8am-4:30pm
Check for more frequent updates on Facebook or Instagram
Check out our Winter Trails Map
- HUNTING & FISHING: The property is OPEN for public hunting and early Trout catch/release fishing in accordance with State seasons and licensing requirements.
- CROSS COUNTRY SKI-TRAILS - OPEN. Groomed on 12/30/2020; Received around 2 inches of wet, heavy snow 1/14/2021.
- HIKING/SNOWSHOEING - OPEN. Snowshoes not needed due to minimal snow cover at this time.
- SNOWMOBILE TRAIL - CLOSED
- FAT-TIRE BIKING - CLOSED. Do not ride when temperatures are above 25 degrees or ground is not frozen.
- CAMPING - OPEN for Winter Camping use designated campsites only.
- RIVER - Please be sure to check current river levels prior to paddling- Ontario and La Farge gauging station. Winter conditions may inactivate gauges.
*Please subscribe to NIXLE notification system for local weather warnings and other emergency alerts. Free to subscribe, opt out at any time.