A Unique Place from All Vantage Points
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve is an 8,569-acre tract of land located between the villages of La Farge and Ontario in southwestern Wisconsin. Its history, resources, administration, and recreational diversity make it unique - a place like no other. The state-sanctioned Kickapoo Reserve Management Board is responsible for managing the property on behalf of the State of Wisconsin and Ho-Chunk Nation. As a publicly protected property - subject to state, tribal, and federal laws - visitors are asked to be aware of the rule and permit requirements.
We invite you to come and see for yourself the many wonders of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Here, sandstone outcroppings tower over the Kickapoo River as you paddle its quiet waters while native plants and animals abound in all seasons. Whether you'd like to join us for a scheduled interpretive hike, adventure into the backcountry on your own, or simply stop and admire the beauty, the Kickapoo Valley Reserve welcomes you!
INFORMATION AT A GLANCE
VISITOR CENTER HOURS:
Monday thru Saturday 8am-4:30pm
Sundays & Holidays 10am-4pm
NOTICE: ALL PERMITS (INCLUDING CAMPING) ARE ONLINE ONLY OR AT THE VISITOR CENTER DURING REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS. THE SELF-PAY STATIONS (PAPER PERMIT FORMS) ON THE PROPERTY ARE NO LONGER AN OPTION FOR PAYMENT.
- EQUESTRIAN & BIKE TRAILS: OPEN - Leave no trace.
- OLD HIGHWAY 131 TRAIL: OPEN to equestrian, bike, hike. No motorized vehicles allowed, including *E-bikes.
- HIKING: OPEN. Leave no trace.
- CAMPING: OPEN Keep vehicles on solid surfaces. Campers must register online prior to setting up. Click Camping button on the left side of this page.
- PARKING: Day or annual permit required. See our map for day parking locations. Keep vehicles on solid surfaces.
- KICKAPOO RIVER: A passable, technical and tight spot just above Bridge 8, keep river left. Check current river levels- Ontario & La Farge gauging station.
- HUNTING & FISHING: The KVR property is OPEN for public hunting & fishing in accordance with State seasons & licensing requirements. View School Zone boundary - Click here.
- *E-BIKES: Learn more about E-bikes and the KVR
*Please subscribe to NIXLE notification system for local weather warnings and other emergency alerts. Free to subscribe, opt out at any time.
Pack out ALL Trash!
Updated 05/30/23 12:00PM