When planning your visit to the Reserve, please consider the following:
- The trail season runs from May 1 to November 15 in both the Reserve and Wildcat Mountain State Park.
- All visitors are required to obtain a Visitor’s Permit for the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Wildcat Mountain has its own trail fee.
- All trail riders must stay on the designated trails.
- Trails are subject to closure due to wet conditions. Call ahead about current conditions - (608) 625-2960 or check the Facebook
- Remember that the terrain is challenging, so plan your route accordingly to avoid overworking your mount or yourself.
- Highways and roads run in and along the Reserve. Be cautious and courteous. Maintain a single file line and watch for oncoming traffic. When crossing bridges, it is usually safest to dismount and lead your horse.
- Pack it in; pack it out! Leaving litter or trash in or around the Reserve is unacceptable.
Regardless of the time of year, the Reserve is one of the most beautiful tracts of land in all of the Midwest. Starting with the massed color displays of spring wildflowers, through the tropically dense green growth of mid-summer, and culminating with the brilliant autumn hues of hardwood timber that bring a glistening white winter, the scenery of the Reserve is compelling enough to find you wanting to return to the Valley time and time again.
Note: According to WI Admin Code ATCP 10.36, out of state riders bringing equine animals into Wisconsin must carry a "valid certificate of veterinary inspection". This must include "official individual identification of the equine animal" and a "report of a negative test for equine infectious anemia". Please read the official code for details and more information.